Are you owning a car? Then you have come to right Site. This article will help you to know about one of an essential product for your car. I would like to start with a small scenario. Imagine, You are going for a vacation along with your family.
Unfortunately, the battery got shut down in the mid of your journey. What will you do? Definitely, you will look for the alternative power backup, right? To get the power from another backup you will surely need this product. Yes! That is jumper cable. Without this cable, you can not recharge your battery.
What is Jumper Cable?
The jumper cable is an electrical cable that is used to make the connection between two batteries.It has both positive and negative side. Normally this jumper cable comes in black and red color combination for unique power identification. It ends with the clamps that used to plug into the battery.
What are the types of jumper cables and which one is best?
The jumper cables are classified into two types based on the uses. i.e Light duty and heavy duty jumper cables. Light duty jumper cables are works for the cars with fewer options. It can be used with the light duty cars. It comes with the low power cables and clamps.
Heavy duty cars are mostly used for the large size vehicles such as trucks and some other cars with high power engines. The material of this cable is strong enough to transmit the charge without any electric lose.
From my experience, I would suggest the heavy duty cables as it has more power and safety material. The large size vehicles only support the heavy duty cables.
How to jump start your car with jumper cables?
To jump start your car, you should need the heavy duty cables. If you have the light duty cables it will be melted while transmitting the electricity. Jump starting your car battery includes the following steps.
1) Park the both vehicles in a perfect position. If you park your car away from the partner car then the length won’t be enough to be connected.
2) Turn off the both cars or put it on the neutral. Now take the heavy duty jumper cable and note the + and – edges the.
3) Fix the red positive cable on the + side of the battery and black negative cable on the – side of a battery. Do this same with your partner vehicle too. Make sure that the clamps are not touched while connecting with batteries.
4) Now start the car with the working battery. Now your car battery will be charged. Leave it for some minutes based on the battery charge you need.
5)After sometimes remove the jumper cable from your car and take the small test drive to make sure the car battery working fine and it does not get die again.
What is the reason for Jump-Start Fail?
If the battery is not charging or the car starts but it dies again means then you have to address the following issues. Most of the batteries are valid for 4-6 years. After the expiration, you need to replace it with the new one. If you think your battery is working good, then you need to consider some other possible issues.
1) battery corrosion
2) faulty alternator
4) starter connection
5) ignition switch
These are the possible issues of failing jump start. If you are not sure about the issues it’s better to take your car to your local car care center for repair services. Get the advice from the professional car services center to keep the battery in good condition.
Things should be noted before using jumper cables
Before going to use the jumper cable you should check your cables whether it is looking perfect are not.
- Make sure your cable does not have any cracks.
- Check the clamps where it is affected by corrosion or not. Because the corrosion will make the electricity leakage.
- Make sure the clips are not damaged. Because the damaged clips will make the accidental contacts between you and clamps.
- Keep the cable in dry area. The wet clamps will make the electric shock.
- Make sure you are fixing the + and – charges correctly.
Best Jumper Cables 2018
Choosing the best jumper cables for your car is quite difficult as there are hundreds of jumper cables available in the market. Here I have listed out the top picks that may help you to find the best one.
|Name||Key Feature||Gauge Type|
|Cartman||Twice grip design||4|
|AAA||16 foot long cable||6|
|EPAuto||Copper plated clamps||4|
|Performance Tool||Rubber coated cable||4|
|Energizer||Copper clad aluminum||1|
|Coleman Cable||Polar-glo polarity||4|
|Iron Forge Tools||20 foot long cable||8|
|Cal-Hawk||25 foot long cable||2|
|OxGord||T-Prene tangle free cable||4|
|ABN||High tension rubber||2|
1. Cartman Booster Cable 4 Gauge x 20Ft in Carry Bag
Is your vehicle is heavy duty? If so, Use this Cartman Booster Cable to achieve the extra heavy duty power. This cable comes with the sufficient Copper coated aluminum that allows the high range of electricity with no loss of power. It can be fitted on both top and side of battery.
This cable designed with the twice grip that assures the better tension and conductivity. It is attempted and UL listed. It is the best choice or the cargo vans, trucks and cars with the full stroke engines. It provides the double connections inside the battery with the help of patented design.
It is made of TPR materials that assure the longer lifetime.
The clamp is made of plastic that provides the perfect fit on the battery with no slips. The clutch is very strong it can not be broken easily. It supports resistance with low temperature -40F/-40 C.
It allows that battery to transmit power from 12/24 V. This unique black and red color provides the charges identifications. This unique black and red color provides the charges identifications. The surface materials offers safety with the ergonomic design. It comes in 16 Foot long and it is a 6 gauge cable that provides the better insulation.
- It offers extra heavy-duty power with thicker cable design. It is 6 gauge cable so it offers the good insulations
- The claims are made of strong plastics that offers the maximum safety from the shock and it can not be melted easily.
- The clips provides the higher grips that keeps the clams from slipping off while connecting with battery.
2. AAA 4326AAA Heavy Duty 16′” 6 Gauge Booster Cable
AAA introduces the jumper cable which has the heavy duty capacity and provides more power when compared with other cables. It comes in 16 Foot long and it is a 6 gauge cable that delivers the better insulation.
It provides the quality rubber insulation. The clamps are coded with the 400-ampere color.
The material of the clamp is heavy plastic that offers more security. It does not cause any shock and the quality clips designed to provide the more grips while fixing the clamps on battery. The + and – signs are clearly mentioned on the cable which ensures the easy identifications. It can be fitted on both top and side terminals of the battery.
The alligator design clamps strongly hold the battery pin. It is suitable for full stroke engines and heavy weight vehicles such as trucks and vans. This sturdy design provides the maximum comfortability. It also supports the low-temperature resistance. The thicker cable assures the constant power transmission. It can not be cracked easily even at the cold climates.
- The 16-foot long cable is more than enough for connection and it is heavy duty cable.
- It also supports small batteries as it has the weird prone in the clamps.
- It includes the zipper pouch that keeps the clamps away from corrosion.
- The strong clamps design delivers the perfect fit on the battery.
3. EPAuto 4 Gauge x 20 Ft 500A Heavy Duty Booster Jumper Cables
EPAuto 4 Gauge x 20 Ft 500A Heavy Duty Booster Jumper Cable is the ideal choice if you need the reliable jumper cable. This cable is known for its higher performance and reliability. This cable is designed with the rubber that can not be easily broken and the performance remains same for longer time.
This is 4 gauge cable that offers the good insulations. It never loses the reliability even if coiled or recoiled for more times. The clamps are made of a copper plated material that assure the maximum safety from the shock. This clamp can not conduct the heat even if you charge the battery for more than a hour.
The cable is made of rubber material that assures the flexibility. It comes with dual coated inside material that can not be melted while transferring power from power from 12/24 V. It is suitable for the high power engines car such as trucks, motorcycle, SUVs, and vans. The strong clips assure the perfect fit on the battery. It includes cotton gloves.
- The heavy Duty cable is 4 -gauge that provides the better insulations.
- It includes the gloves for safety.
- The cables are more flexible and reliable as it designed by the rubber material.
- The clips delivers the strong grip that assures no slips whiles fixing the clamps on battery terminals.
4. Performance Tool (W1673) 20′ 4-Gauge Jumper Cable
This also a heavy duty cable that suitable for trucks, SUVs, and vans. The cable is coded with the red and black offers the easy identification. It comes with various size and gauges. This cable is considered as the best among all cables. It comes with 20-foot long and 4 gauge. The higher insulations can be achieved by using this 4 gauge cable.
The clamps are designed by the heavy duty copper material that does not conduct the heat and electricity to the clips. The ergonomic design of the clamps assures the perfect fit on the both small and large size batteries. The clamps are adaptable to fit either top of the battery or side of the battery terminals.
The cable is made of hard plastic with a rubber material that can not be cracked at any weather. It transmits up to 500/600 Amp power. The 20 foot long is more enough to connect with the other vehicle even it is parker away from your car. The cable provides the longer life even if it is coiled or recoiled many times.
- The rubber coated material design ensures the flexibility.
- The clamps are designed with the quality copper that does not lose the electricity.
- The clips are made of strong plastics that does not transmit the heat and power.
5. Energizer 1-Gauge 800A Heavy Duty Jumper Battery Cables
Energizer is the best choice for higher insulation as it has 1 gauge heavy duty power. This cable provides the 25- foot long it is higher than other cables. It assures the connectivity between long distance. The clamp is made of copper clad aluminum that perfectly conduct the electricity with no loss.
The perfect clamp design does not conduct the heat while charging from the heavy duty battery. The tangle free cables provide the maximum flexibility even at 40 C. It also supports all weather. The clips are made of stainless steel that assures the perfect fit. This clip does not affect the clamps temperature. The clamps can not be affected by the corrosion. The flexible cable allows you to coil it easily.
The cables have the ability to transmit the power up to 800 Amp. The battery can be charged within short time period.You no need to wait for long time to jump start the car battery again. It provides the maximum convenient at the lengthwise. The clamps are made of PVC material that provides the safety from shocks. The cables have only 11.4 pounds that assure the ease of portability.
- The cable is designed with the high-quality copper and aluminum that meets the industrial st
- The tangle free cables provide the maximum flexibility even at 40 C.
- The PVC coated clamps provide the safety from shock.
- It supports 800 Amp power which is higher power transmission than other cables.
6. Coleman Cable 08660 Heavy-Duty 4-Gauge Auto Battery Booster Cables
Coleman Cable provides the efficient performance as a heavy duty 4 gauge cable. The cable comes in red color it makes the product unique from other cables. The cable edges end with the black and red color clips. The + and – charges can be identified by the colors of the clips.
The Clamp comes with the alligator design that perfectly fixed on both small and large size batteries. This clamp is made of copper coated aluminum that transmits the power with no loss of electricity. This copper can not be melted even if yo charging you car battery from the high stroke power batteries. It can be fitted with both top and side terminals.
The clip is made of strong plastic coated material that does not conduct the heat and shock. The cable is made of T-Prene coating that offers the maximum flexibility even if it coiled or recoiled for more times. The 4 gauge cable provides the better insulation. It comes in various sizes such as 12 feet, 16 feet, 20 feet, and 25 feet.
- This high-quality material is suitable for cold and warm climate.
- The versatile clamps designs are easy to use and it keeps you away from the accidental contact.
- The + and – charges are marked with the glowing materials that can be identified easily in the dark environment.
7. Iron Forge Tools 20 Foot Jumper Cables
Iron Forge cables are the best choice for you As it provides the effective power transmission when your battery needs to jump start. It comes with the tangle free color-coded cables that can be easily identified. The length is 20 foot long that provides longer distance connectivity. It also comes in various gauge model and sizes as well. But this 8 gauge cable is used by most of the people.
The product width is 12.1 inch that requires less space in your car storage. The clamps are made of copper coated aluminum that perfectly fixed on the both small and large battery. It is heavy duty cable so it allows you to connect your battery to the high-level engine vehicles. The clips are coated with the plastic material that assures no contact between you and the clamps. The quality clamps can not be affected by the corrosion.
It does not transfer the heat and shock from the clamps. It can be handled easily As it is one handed operation. The cable is made of rubber material that can be cracked even it coiled and recoiled for more times. It provides the longer lifetime. The dual coated rubber material can not be melted even the high-level power transmitted through it.
- The quality clips make no contact between you and the clamps.
- The quality rubber material supports all weather.
- The sturdy and flexible cable can be coiled and recoiled without any mess.
8. Cal-Hawk CBC25 Heavy Duty 2 Gauge Jumper Jumping Cable
CBC25 Heavy Duty is an ideal choice for small size batteries as it has small size clips when compared with other cables. This cable provides the 25- foot long that assures the connectivity between two cars from the long distance. The copper clad aluminum made clamp has conducted the electricity with no loss.
The ergonomic clamp design does not conduct the heat to clips while charging from the heavy duty battery. The cables have the ability to transmit the power up to 600 Amp. The tangle free cables provide the maximum flexibility even at low temperature such as -60F. It supports all weather.
The clamps are made of PVC material that provides the safety from shocks. The cables have only 11.4 pounds that assure the ease of portability.The clips are made of stainless steel that assures the perfect fit. This clip does not affect the clamps temperature. The claims can not be affected by the corrosion. It provides the maximum convenient at the lengthwise. It supports 25 V of power.
- The high-quality copper and aluminum design of clamp provides the perfect fit on battery terminals.
- The tangle free cables provide the maximum flexibility even allow temperature at -60V.
- The PVC coated clips assures no contact between you and clamp.
- It supports 600 Amp power the achieves maximum power transmission
9. OxGord 4 Gauge 500 Amp Extra Long 25-Feet Jumper Cables
OxGord introduces the 4 gauge jumper cable that assures the heavy duty power transmission when your battery needs to jump start. The effective performance can be achieved through the Copper coated aluminum made clamps. This design delivers the efficient power transmission without any contact between you and the clamps.
The color coded with orange and black color while other cables were released in the black and red combination. It makes the product unique. The TPR material made of cable provides the maximum flexibility and it has the low-temperature resistance at -40 F. The clamps equipped with the dual construction that provides the strong grip on the battery terminal.
It transfers 12/24 Volt of power. It takes only a few minutes to boost up your battery. The cables are designed by the tangle free T-Prene coated material it does not makes any crack for a long time.The handle clip is made of a rubber coated material that offers more safety from the shock.
- The T-prene tangle free cables ensure the more flexibility.
- The sturdy design comes with the orange and black color coding the keep you away from the wrong crossing connection.
- It supports all weather. The cable can not be cracked easily. It is easy to handle.
10. ABN 2 Gauge 600 Amp Jumper Cables
The ABN 2 Gauge 600 Amp Jumper Cables are designed with the Commercial Grade Parrot Clamps that meets the industrial standards. The Copper coated Aluminum clamps provide the perfect fit on the battery terminals. It is color-coded with attractive red and black color that keeps you away from the wrong connection. It supports 600 Amp power.
The clips are made of high rubber coated material that provides the one hand operation. It offers the maximum grips while fixing the clamp on battery. It provides the secure connection. It is suitable for bus, tractor, and RV. This jumper cable boosts up your battery in short period.
The clamp is corrosion free. It is more enough strong to fix on the battery. This cable comes in 25 foot long. It is more than enough to charge your battery even the another vehicle is for away from your car. It comes in 2-gauge to offer effective insulation. It supports all weathers. It the cable material can not be cracked even in cold climate. This cable provides the adequate insulation. The material can not be melted even it charges from the heavy duty vehicles.
- Easy identification by the red black color coding. It keeps away from the wrong connection.
- It supports all weather.
- The clamp provides the perfect fit on the battery terminal.
- The clips are designed with the rubber coated material that offers no contact between you and the clamps.
How to choose the Jumper cables?
Choosing the jump start cables are very important. Remember, the heavy duty cables are better than light duty cables as it transmits more power. You should consider the following factors while choosing the jumper cable.
1) Cables length
The length of the cable should be considered Because if you need to connect with the other vehicles even if there is no place to park your car nearby the partner vehicle. Normally a length of 12″ jumper cables are more than enough for regular purposes.
2) Cable Clamp
The clamp should be sturdy enough to connect with the partner vehicle without any slips while connecting it. It better to buy the rubber coated clamps to stay away from the shock.
Gauge is the thickness of the cable it often comes with the 4 types. I.e 10- gauge, 8-gauge,6-gauge, and 4-gauge. Lower the size of gauge provides the higher power goes through it. 4-gauge is proven out to be more powerful.
The material of the clamp is should be plated with solid copper as it has more stability on transmitting the electricity. The cheap cost cables will have the low-quality clamps that will result in the less transmission. So always prefer the quality material clamps.
5) Types of Insulation
To get the better insulation choose the thicker cable. The thicker cable does not get cracked even in the cold climate. It never loses the reliability even if coiled or recoiled for more times.
Jumper cables are important when your battery needs to jump start.Use this jumper cable and forget about your battery charges. It comes in various lengths and gauges. Heavy duty cables are always best when compared with the light duty cables as it has thicker cables and long lasting performance. These cables are available in quality features and affordable prices. This article is written based on the customer’s experience. You can make the comparison between all cables to pick the best jumper cable.